Chakra is the Sanskrit word for circle or wheel. Ancient theories proposed by Hindu mystics are based on seven chakras that link the body and the mind into one unit - the mind/body connection. It was through the practice of yoga in India many centuries ago that chakras became identified with centers of energy at major points throughout the body. Beginning at the base of the spine and moving up to the skull, there are seven chakras, each associated with a corresponding color.
- The first chakra, represented by the color red, is known as the foundation chakra and is located at the base of the spine. It represents the element earth and is related to our sense of being grounded and physically connected with our bodies.
- The second chakra is represented by the color orange and is located in the lower abdomen, lower back and reproductive organs. The second chakra is related to water, emotions and sexuality. It connects us to others through our feelings, desires, sensations, and movements.
- The third chakra, the power chakra, is yellow and located in the solar plexus. This chakra signifies the element of fire. It represents the power of the will and aids in metabolism.
- The fourth chakra is green and located in the heart. It represents the element air. When we are healthy, this chakra allows us to be compassionate and to love deeply.
- The fifth chakra, located in the throat is blue. The blue chakra embodies sound and is related to communication and creativity.
- The sixth chakra can be either indigo or dark blue. It is known as the brow or third-eye center chakra and is related to our ability to perceive - both with our eyes and intuitively.
- The seventh and final chakra, also referred to as the crown chakra, is violet and signifies the power of thought. The seventh chakra helps us know and understand the world around and within us.
Many items of Sacred Charms jewelry borrow from the color concepts of the chakra to convey to the wearer those insights and powers embodied within the chakra. The Chakra Om Bracelet, the Kundalini Spiral Necklace and the Small Om Beaded Chakra are three such pieces. A gift of chakra jewelry tells the recipient you are devoted to the health of both her spirit and her body.